Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Tasty Tuesdays: Lentils With Tomatoes


After the overwhelmingly positive responses I've received from family and friends regarding my first recipe post (here), and in attempts to expand my culinary repertoire, I've decided to make my adventures in cookery a weekly feature called "Tasty Tuesdays."

This decision could not have come at a better time, as I am in the midst of prepping for a 10K on Sunday. In the days leading up to a race (or any big event, for that matter) I've found I feel better both physically and mentally when I fuel my body with nutritional powerhouses that pack big health benefits into a little package. This recipe is the perfect pick, as it is made with lycopene-rich tomatoes and lentils that deliver a healthy dose of both protein and fiber. Instead of the bright-red, perfectly round tomatoes most are accustomed to finding in the produce aisle, I opted to use these beautiful heirloom tomatoes I picked up at the local farmers' market. Heirloom tomatoes come in a variety of sizes, shapes and colors; they also have a richer taste and heartier texture than your average supermarket variety, making them my tomato of choice for recipes that call for roasting or baking. And while this dish is delicious on its own, it also would go great with fish, chicken or served on top of rice for a light-yet-filling pre-race meal.








No comments:

Post a Comment