Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Midweek Vacation

Taking time to stop and smell the roses, or in this case the hibiscus

As mentioned in my previous post (here), sometimes my weeks can be so packed with things to do that I get overwhelmed and inevitably shut down. The mere thought of having to call up a person for an interview or go on a 6-mile training run leaves me exhausted, and instead I end up spending my day in my sweats watching reruns of trashy TV shows. On days when I feel myself beginning to avoid my responsibilities, I give myself permission to take a mini vacation, but with one stipulation: I have to be actively doing something productive to my life. Be it pampering myself with an at-home spa, sorting through my closet for the upcoming season, reading the latest issues of my favorite magazines or going on a stroll around the block, I need to be engaged in some sort of activity other than couch-surfing. And you know what? After a few hours of doing one or two things I want to do (rather than those I feel absolutely need to be done) I feel completely recharged and ready to tackle whatever may be waiting in my inbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment