Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Breakfast on the Run


Most health experts say breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and I couldn't be more in agreement. Breakfast also happens to be my favorite meal of the day, as I consider it a time to relax with a big mug of coffee and reflect during those quite morning moments before the day starts. However, now that I'm back at an office job and am in full marathon training mode, my breakfasts need to be easy to make and even easier to eat on the go. They also have to be a balanced combination of carbs, protein and heart-healthy fat, as this meal has to refuel me after a 4, 5, 6 or even 8 mile run. I tweaked the standard PB&B (peanut butter and banana) idea a bit to accommodate my food allergies and now look forward to breakfast even more, thanks to this delicious, nutrition-packed meal.

Soy butter is a great substitute for those with peanut/nut allergies, and this one also happens to be gluten-free! Although it packs 7 grams of protein per serving, it also has 190 calories and 14 grams of fat for two tablespoons. I make sure to measure out an even tablespoon to keep my calories in check.
  
In addition to good carbs from natural sugars in the fruit, bananas are also a great source of potassium, a mineral that regulates muscle contractions and can prevent muscle spasms.

Spread on top a 7-grain waffle (full of good-for-you fiber, protein and low in sugar), sprinkle with cinnamon (which can help regulate blood sugar, lower cholesterol, boost cognitive function and memory, and is high in fiber, iron, calcium and manganese) and serve with black coffee (another great antioxidant powerhouse) -- Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment