Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Tasty Tuesdays: Glazed Donut Muffins


Certain foods will always be a reminder of childhood, and for me, donuts bring to mind lazy Saturday mornings when my parents would take me down to the local bakery to pick up freshly made pastries, which we would swiftly take home to enjoy while they were still warm. Even though donuts hold a special place in my heart, I haven't had one in years because of the overload of sugar and fat found in most commercially made varieties. Thankfully I came across this recipe. Rather than being loaded with lard and deep-fried in oil, these "donuts" rely on a scant amount of butter and oil (I used heart-healthy extra virgin olive oil) and are baked in a muffin tin, resulting in a denser cake that is far less greasy but just as tasty as its traditional counterpart. And even though it did take a few dips in the sugary glaze to coat the muffin tops, taking a trip down memory lane more than makes up for it.






No comments:

Post a Comment